Kids Bike Taupō
“Bringing bikes to the children of the Taupō District to build a cycling culture”
Kids Bike Taupō started in 2012 with the aim of getting kids of all ages on bikes. Since then Cath Oldfield has developed a very successful programme and now has a big van with 30 or so bikes providing a mobile service to the Taupō community. Since 2012 Cath has taught more than 200 kids each year to ride bikes. To read more about Kids BT or, to see tips about getting kids riding, click the links in the slideshow.
Every week Kids BT is at:
- Taupō BMX Track, Mondays 3.30-5.00pm. Located at 115 Taharepa Road. http://taupobmx.org.nz/
- Spa Park by the Pump Track, Tuesdays 3.30-5.00pm.
- Craters Mountain Bike Park in the Karapiti Road carpark, 3.30-5.00pm. This session is ideal for families who have never been to Craters and would like a friendly introduction. It would help to have adults on bikes as well, where possible. If you have your own bikes and helmets, it helps. Those without bikes can use the KBT ones. Please wear sensible biking clothes and covered in shoes. Bring water.
Kids BT also offers a variety of custom biking activities.
- Kids Bike Taupō Programme for Schools. Free ride/skills session at school. Bikes, jumps, see saw and games. 1.5 hours
- Session at the BMX Track. 1.5-2 hours.
- Mountain biking at Craters Mountain bike Park - Wairakei Forest, Great Lake Trail, Kinloch. Pureora Forest, Timber Trails. Waikato River Trail, Atiamuri/Whakamaru/Mangakino. Tongariro River Trail, Turangi. Up to 30 people and probably 2-3 hours, whatever fits your schedule?
- Spa Park/ODP Adventure. Meet at Taupo Events Centre and we can spend 2-4 hours at Pump Track, Velodrome, mountain bike tracks.
- Five Mile Bay Walkway. Meet me at Wharewaka or Five Mile Bay and we can ride the easy track along the lake. 2-4 hours.
- Lion's Walk. Meet at Boat Harbour/Hot Water Beach/2 Mile Bay. Ride as long as you like.
Our programme is very popular and oversubscribed. With a sustainable source of funding we could offer Kids Bike Taupō to more children. Please consider how you or your business could support us. Our main focus is on children aged 7 years and younger. We have learnt that it getting on two wheels as young as possible is the best way. We want to take the programme to all early childhood centres.